Thursday, June 11, 2015

Hemming Pants

A lot of my clients want me to hem their jeans. I don't mind doing it at all, and I understand not wanting to constantly wear your pants like this:
(I found this image when I googled "girls who need to hem their pants" haha)


If you don't have a sewing machine, or time please keep sending them to me. But if you have a machine and want to practice sewing, hemming pants is a very easy thing to begin with.
So after hemming some pants this week I decided to make a simple tutorial of how to hem your pants.

Supplies:
sewing machine
heavy duty thread (if you don't have that normal thread will work)
jean needle
measuring tape/ruler
tailors chalk
fabric scissors


1. Measure your pants
I usually measure my desire inseam (in this example it is 24") and then add an inch and mark the length with tailor's chalk. (in this example I am measuring 25") The extra inch is necessary so when you fold the fabric up the finished hem is at your desired length.

inseam marked at 25"
I then measure what that is from the end of the pants and mark on both pant legs. 
in this example it is 2"
2. Cut your pants
I marked 2" above on both pant legs
3. Fold up 1/2" and then 1/2" again

4. Sew your pants
I wrap my pant leg around the end of my sewing machine, and I use my presser foot as guide for an even stitch.

5. Iron your hem
this just helps your hem lie flat
6. Enjoy not tripping on your pants!!!



xoxo
Becky Jane




1 comment:

  1. I even learned a thing or two! Great job on your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete