Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tulle Skirt Tutorial

My sister Molly and some of her friends wanted to make tulle skirts for Mother's Day. So I decided to host a work-shop in my studio to help them make their skirts. I made a sample before the work shop, so here is my tutorial on how to make a tulle skirt!

Supply List:
5 yards of tulle
(I used more of a thin lace rather then tulle because I liked the weight better, but it has the same effect)
2 yards of lining
(I always buy more then enough fabric, just to be safe, this list you should definitely be safe)
pins
scissors
sewing machine
matching thread
1 yard elastic
( I did 1 1/2" , I didn't want my waist band to be super thick)
measuring tape
tailors chalk

I found this website helpful with tips on working with tulle.

Let's Begin:

1. First you want to cut rectangles of your layers of tulle. My skirt is three layers, so I cut 108" width by 25" length (the length is how long you want your skirt, I'm 5' 4" and my skirt hits just below the knee)

I cut my layers of tulle on a fold, and marked 54" on my cutting table. I found that an easy way to work with such a big piece of tulle. 


I then marked my 25" length on my cutting table. And cut all three layers of tulle.
 2. Put your tulle pieces aside for now, and cut your lining. Measure your widest part over your hips and add 10". My largest part was 35"- so I cut 45" by 25" for my lining. (length same as my tulle)
For some reason my lining still ended up a lot shorter then my tulle, I think the tulle stretched after I cut it, so you might want to add extra length on your lining if you don't like the look of it being shorter. In my case I thought it was cute and added depth to the piece. It's up to you :)


This is a picture of the lining measured out.
 3. Now sew all the side seams up on both the tulle and lining. (4 pieces) I sewed mine on 1/2" seam allowance, but 5/8" should be fine too. There is a lot extra fabric, so whatever you fancy.
side seams sewn!
4. Now pin all three layers of tulle together at the waist and baste stitch them together to treat as one piece. This part can be a little frustrating, but once you have this step done everything else is a piece of cake.  (make sure all your layers of tulle are pined together with seams facing the same way)
all my layers  pinned....

All my layers of  basted together.

5. Now pin and pleat your tulle layers onto your lining to fit your lining width.


All layers pinned together.
 6. Now baste stitch your lining to your tulle layers.


all layers basted together.
7. It is now time to cut your elastic. Measure your elastic around your natural waist ( 1/2"-1"above your belly button)  and cut it where if feels comfortable but snug.
 Then sew it together to make a circle, I again used a 1/2" seam allowance.

my elastic sewn together.
8. Sew down the seam allowance.

seam allowance sewn down. my seam is so crooked haha.
 9. Now mark with chalk your elastic in four places- front, back and side seams. They should be equal distances apart. (essentially just divide your elastic in 4 and mark with chalk)

 10. Pin your elastic to tulle/lining in those four places. Right sides together. (side seams, center front, and center back)


elastic pinned at four places. 
11. Now sew your elastic to your skirt.  You will have to pull your elastic while sewing since it will be smaller then your skirt. I sewed with a zig zag stitch.

12. Hem your lining. You don't need to hem your tulle layers.

13. All done!!! Enjoy your tulle skirt.




This is a picture of my finished skirt. When I cut my tulle layers I had my top layer end on the selvage so that it would give   a finished look. 


This was a fun and easy project! Stay tuned for pictures from the work shop and the skirts they chose to make!

xoxo
Becky Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment