Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Ginger Rogers Piñata Tutorial

For my Dad's 60th birthday my family and I went all out. We threw him a surprise Ginger Rogers themed party. I made a piñata of her, and it was quite the process. I decided to make a tutorial of how I made her for you guys to check out!
Supplies:
cardboard/thick paper scraps
cereal boxes
balloons
paper mache mixture (1 part flour, two parts water)
crepe paper
paint
cotton balls
candy/filling
tape (masking and duct)
news paper
2" ruler
mod podge
sciccors
exacto knife (optional)
heavy duty string

The base of Ginger is made with balloons, toilet paper rolls, and a cereal box for the feet. 
I made holes in a cheerio box to fit the toilet paper roll and then added a base to make it sturdier. 
                                         

I shortened a toilet paper roll for the neck to connect the body to the head. 


Then taped some arms on. 

Then I covered the shape with strips of news paper (I cut mine in two inch strips) dipped in my paper mache mix. 

This is a photo of the newspaper dry.  I did three layers of paper mache. 

I then covered her body with a nude crepe paper and mod podge. 
I decided to give her some boobs to give her more shape and not look so round. I taped cotton balls on, they ended up giving her a Madonna look haha. 

I decided to fill her before I started decorating her too much. So I cut a hole in the body and the head. 

I filled her with some of my dad's favorites, which include Little Debbies :)

I then started working on her dress. I used crepe paper and mod podge.

I taped a folder on to make her dress go out. 

This is a photo from the back while I was working on fringing the skirt of her dress.  I used the opening in the back and poked a hole in her head to attach the string for her to hang on. I reinforced that hole with many layers of duct tape so it would be strong enough to hold her. 

I dyed some cotton balls for her hair. I used a water based paint, but this took forever to dry,  I even had to pull out a hair dryer at one point, so I would recommend a light spray paint, or just buying colored pom-poms. 

I then started working on her face. I also used crepe paper and some paint. 

Side of Gingers head.

All Done!

                                                      

This is what I was going for haha. She kind of ended up looking more like a muppet!

But my Dad loved her, and that's all that matters.


Piñatas are time consuming but so much fun. I really enjoyed making this one of Ginger Rogers.  I have a few more coming up for my kids camp this summer so stay tuned!

xoxo
Becky Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment